Groundwork Denver Announces Beekeeping Class Series Offered At Sister Gardens at Aria
Groundwork Denver is teaming up with Honeybee Keep to host a beekeeping class series at Sister
Gardens at Aria! The classes are $40 and will take place every second Saturday (with some exceptions) for the remainder of the 2018 calendar year.
The series will cover topics ranging from how to properly install living bees, moving and splitting honeybee colonies, and more! The first class is taking place on Sunday, April 15th and will cover how to feed honeybees and how to decorate beehives.
Participants are encouraged, but not required, to purchase and manage 2 hives with a colony of honeybees in each hive. The reasons for this will become clear as the year progresses. Beekeeping veil, jacket, gloves, hive tool and smoker are additional expenses.
To register, or learn more about the class series, email Makalah@GroundworkColorado.org. For the series’ dates and topics, see below.
- Sunday, 04/15/2018 02:00 PM to 05:00 – Feeding Honeybees, Decorating Hives, Hive Tour by slides
- Sunday, 04/29/2018 02:00 PM to 03:00 – Install living bees
- Tuesday, 05/01/2018 05:00 PM to 06:00 – Release queens. Bad weather backup date is 05/03 05:00 PM – 06:00
- Saturday 05/12/2018 02:00 PM to 05:00 – Swarms followed by Verify Laying. Bad weather backup date is 05/13 02:00 PM to 05:00
- Saturday 05/26/2018 02:00 PM to 04:00 – No slides, Mite Check. Bad weather backup date is 05/27 10:00 AM to 12:00
- Saturday 06/16 02:00 PM to 05:00 – Moving Honeybees followed by Recognizing Cells
- Thursday 06/21/2018 07:00 PM to 09:00 – Summer Solstice with possible meal and campfire
- Saturday 07/07/2018 09:00 AM to 03:00 PM – No slides, tour of hives
- Sunday 07/08/2018 02:00 PM to 05:00 – Splitting Honeybee Colonies (and merging) followed by a Real Merge
- Saturday 08/11/2018 02:00 PM to 05:00 – Disease, Parasite, and Pest followed by Mite Count
- Saturday 09/08/2018 02:00 PM to 05:00 – Mite Treatment Options followed by Harvest
- Saturday 09/22/2018 07:00 PM to 09:00 – Fall Equinox with a possible meal together and campfire
- Saturday 10/13/2018 02:00 PM to 05:00 – How to Become CNG followed by Candy Photos
- Friday 12/21/2018 07:00 PM to 09:00 – Human and Honeybee History in Parallel followed by Winter Solstice with a possible meal together and campfire